Get ready for the reactions when everyone smells the delicious aroma of this Vegetarian Pumpkin Feta Tart / Pie recipe cooking in the oven.
Visually the Pumpkin Feta Tart has a real WOW factor too it’s one very attractive pumpkin pie. It just looks special and would make a fabulous centrepiece if you were hosting for vegetarians.
The tart looks like a giant orange rose pie prior to cooking in the pie in the oven!
I found that when I tried slicing the pumpkin by hand the slices were irregular in thickness and much too thick. So I used a food processor instead.
Vegetarian Pumpkin Feta Tart Secrets
The use of puff pastry in this recipe gives the pie a real homely feeling.
I love using crispy puff pastry for my tart and pie recipes. I really feel that tarts, pies and rolls taste better when they have a sheet of puff pastry wrapped around then.
All those delicious layers of flaky pastry around the pumpkin pie. Yum, you can’t go wrong.
Pumpkin Feta Tart - Vegetarian Homemade Pie Recipe
- 100 gm puff pastry 2 sheets
- 650 gm pumpkin peeled
- 200 gm creamy lemmos feta cheese
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 5 whole egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground pepper to taste
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp spray oil
- Heat oven to 200 degree Celsius
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and allow to defrost.
- Spray a pie dish with oil.
- Line the pie dish with pastry and trim any excess pastry from the sides.
- Beat one of the eggs in a small bowl.
- Apply the egg wash to the sides of the pastry.
- Line the centre of the pastry shell with a little bit of baking paper and add pie weights to the centre.
- Bake the pie shell blind until it is lightly coloured.
- Remove the pie weights and reserve the partially cooked pie crust.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 170 degree celsius.
- Using a food processor or mandolin slice all the pumpkin into thin wedges.
- Crumble half the feta cheese over the pie crust.
- Arrange the pumpkin slices in a circular pattern around the pie. Start at the outside and work your way inwards.
- Crumble more feta over the tart.
- Grate the cloves of garlic over the tart and add the rosemary leaves.
- In a large bowl add the cream and eggs. Beat with an egg whisk until combined.
- Season the egg mixture with salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture around the tart making sure it gets in between all the layers of pumpkin.
- Bake until the tart is set. between 40 - 50 mins. checking until set.
- *If the outside crust is browning too quickly add a cover made of al-foil to the top of the pie crust.
I decided to make this dish because I had been noticing spiralled vegetable tarts popping up on Pinterest. The only problem was, I didn’t feel they would have the intense flavour I like in my meals.
I then added a strong, creamy cheese. I thought about adding basil because I love pumpkin and basil, but hubby likes rosemary.
We have Rosemary growing wild in our garden so it was an obvious choice. I am really happy with the rosemary favour. I think it suits that comfort food feel of a pumpkin pie.
I served the Pumpkin and Feta Tart with some extra creamy feta cheese sprinkled over the top.
I also added some more fresh leaves from the rosemary sprigs.
I would love for you to try this recipe, rosemary, feta and pumpkin are a match made in heaven!
Note: Now, you may have noticed I have specified a Smooth Creamy Feta in the recipe. I will only be using brand names of products where I feel it is appropriate or necessary.
Don’t forget to add this scrumptious Vegetarian Pumpkin and Feta Tart to your favourite Pinterest pie board!