Our supremely cheesy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is the perfect side to your meaty mains. The 4 kinds of cheese all play a part to make this the best mac ‘n’ cheese EVER!
This classic pasta dish has so many versions that it’s hard to keep count! This recipe with four kinds of cheese is one of our favorites.
How to make the Perfect Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Needs to have a crusty grilled melted cheese layer on top.
- The recipe needs to include a tasty cheese with good melting ability, stringy cheese, and a matured cheese for extra flavor.
- The sauce needs to be creamy enough to coat the pasta and get inside the tubes of macaroni.
- The sauce should not be too thin that the dish won’t hold it’s shaped.
- The sauce should not be too thick that it tastes gluey with the pasta.
Ingredients for the Best Macaroni and Cheese
- 340g uncooked macaroni pasta
- 70g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 2 cups pouring cream
- 3 cups tasty cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups matured cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper powder
- salt and (black) pepper, to taste
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Topping Ingredients
Mac and Cheese Recipe - Macaroni with 4 Cheeses DELICIOUS!
- 1 cups tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- pinch smoky paprika
- Preheat an oven to 180C/350F.
- Cook the pasta as per the manufacturers directions.
- Drain well, place in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium heat.
- When melted, stir through the flour to make a roux. The flour needs to be cooked but not browned, approx 2 mins stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of milk to the roux. Whisk the milk though the mixture vigorously until there are no lumps.
- Quickly add another 1/2 cup of milk and whisk again.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk through the remaining milk, cream, mustard tomato paste and cayenne pepper.
- Once combined add the saucepan to a medium heat. Whisk the sauce constantly until it has thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add all the cheeses. Stir the sauce until the cheeses have melted.
- Season the cheese sauce with salt and pepper as desired. Stir the sauce through the pasta.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a casserole or individual ramekins.
- Sprinkle the topping ingredients evenly over the macaroni cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Serve immediately.
Want more great side dishes for your meaty mains? Why not try these recipes;
To make a larger batch of our Macaroni and Cheese Recipe adjust the servings above.