This Spiced Portuguese Chicken is a great zingy recipe and very easy and healthy. Surprisingly it is not as hot as you would think and served with a salad or rice it is a delicious summery dish.
It is tasty but next time I will add fresh chili for a little bit of heat. The recipe makes about six chicken breasts so you could make the dish for the evening meal, and then have leftovers for a picnic.
The recipe makes about six chicken breasts so you could make the dish for the evening meal, and then have leftovers for a picnic.
Spiced Portuguese Chicken
- 1 red onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 t/s lemon rind (2 lemons, reserving the lemon juice)
- 1 ½ Tbs chili flakes
- 2 t/s smoked paprika
- 3 Tbs oil
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1.2 kg chicken breast with the skin
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- lemon wedges to serve
- Place the marinade ingredients in a [easyazon_link identifier=”B008J8MJIQ” locale=”US” tag=”gourmetgetaways1-20″]food processor[/easyazon_link] and process to a smooth paste, add more oil and vinegar in equal portions in necessary.
- Place the chicken in a baking tray and cover completely with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F.
- Bake the chicken skin side up for 20 mins uncovered to colour the skin.
- Cover the tray with al foil and cook for a further 10-15mins until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and place on a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley.
- Pour the reserve lemon juice in the cooking pan and deglaze. Pour the sauce from the cooking pan over the chicken and serve with lemon wedges.