In a previous story, I highlighted an interesting food find from the Harbourside Farmers Market in Coffs Harbour. It was a brand of condiments, sauces, spices and seasonings which use Australian Native Produce to create a unique taste of Australia. This dish highlights a lovely spice to make a tasty Lemon Myrtle Seafood Salad.
The range is called Bakarindi and all the ingredients are grown in the Coffs Harbour area. I purchased a few products on that day, one of which was the Lemon Myrtle Seasoning.
I love the smell of Lemon Myrtle, it has a strong lemony aroma with a hint of Eucalypt. I have these trees growing in my garden and I will often put a dried leaf (folded) in my tea for an extra flavour. I had never really considered the seasoning value of the leaves beyond my tea enhancement until I came across the Bakarindi range.
The ingredients in the Lemon Myrtle Seasoning are salt, lemon myrtle, chilli and garlic, all of which are dried and ground into a fine powder. The most obvious recipient of such a spice is seafood so I decided to try a Lemon Myrtle Seafood Salad. I am also told it is a great seasoning for chicken. I would be tempted to add a little cream to the pan after cooking the chicken to make a lemon myrtle sauce with the residual spice.
Keep and eye out for [easyazon_link identifier=”B003UMVMZW” locale=”US” tag=”gourmetgetaways1-20″]Lemon Myrtle Seasoning[/easyazon_link] or lemon myrtle leaves for cooking it adds a very “Australia Summer” flavour to food.
Lemon Myrtle Seafood Salad
- 200gm Ling Fillets Cubed
- 200gm green prawns
- 1 T/s Lemon Myrtle seasoning
- 1 T/s garlic infused Olive Oil
- Cos Lettuce
- 1 bunch coriander chopped
- 1 cucumber (sliced finely)
- ½ small red onion (sliced finely)
- ½ avocado
- ½ lemon sliced
- Caesar Salad dressing, to taste
- Place seafood in a plastic bag with seasoning and toss to coat.
- Mix together the cos, coriander, cucumber and onion. Layer salad on a platter.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and saute seafood in the oil until just cooked through.
- Lay seafood over the salad. Add sliced avocado to the salad and garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serve with Caesar salad dressing and a squeeze of lemon.
This was a delicious light meal full of flavour. We had some toasted ciabatta bread and melted gorgonzola with the salad for a lovely decadent meal which was on the table in no time at all.