As with all of my favourite recipes, there is a story which goes along with this one. I developed a serious dependency on this Chocolate Crunch Slice whilst I was pregnant. Some days I would consume two pieces per day! Once you have sampled the slice you will understand how bad this admission really is. It is delicious but so rich! A normal person would struggle to eat even one piece.
A few years later I chanced upon the recipe. I have made a few modifications over the years but it remains a firm favourite. Although, now I tend to cut the slice in half again to how they are pictured above.
When I was trying to find a Celebrity Chefs Recipe, for this weeks “Cookbook Challenge” I noticed that Donna Hay had a version of “my slice,” in her Chocolate recipe book. Here it is, my recipe.
Chocolate Crunch Slice
- 200gm Dark Chocolate
- 100gm Milk Chocolate
- 90gm Butter
- ¼ Cup + 1 T/s Golden Syrup
- 250gm Shortbread Biscuits
- 1 T/s Icing Sugar
- Line a large loaf tin with a strip of folded foil, overhang the sides.
- Put both chocolates, butter and syrup into a glass, microwave-safe bowl. Heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Reserve 1/3 of the chocolate mixture in a separate bowl.
- Break biscuits into chunks and put into the dish holding 2/3 of the chocolate mixture. Mix biscuits through chocolate until they are well coated.
- Pour biscuit mixture into the prepared tin. Spread mix evenly.
- Tap on the bench to help settle the chocolate.
- Pour the reserved 1/3 chocolate over the slice, this assists in attaining a smoother finish to the top. Tap the slice on the bench to remove any air bubbles.
- Refrigerate until set.
- To release the slice from the tin use the foil to lift the slice out. If necessary place the bottom of the loaf tin in a dish of hot water briefly.
- Dust with icing sugar and slice.
I hope you enjoy this slice as much as I do Do you have a favourite treat which is as quick to make? Send me the recipe please, it is time for us to have a change!