These cute little meringues are perfect for a quick Halloween treat. They can be used to sit on top of an adult style dessert or placed on a treats plate to form and army of ghosts for the kids at a Halloween party.
Meringues only take about five minutes to make but there are some little secrets I will share to make the job a little easier.
- 4 egg whites (room temp)
- 1 cups superfine caster sugar
- 1/2 t/s flavouring (vanilla, musk, rosewater)
- Wilton Black icing
- Using a warm large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. This is when the egg whites will hold a shape but the peak will flop over like a wave.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time. After each tablespoon check that the sugar is completely dissolved by rubbing a little of the mix between your thumb and first finger. The mixer should be on a medium to high speed and you should gently scrape the sides on the bowl to ensure all the egg white is incorporated with the sugar.
- Continue this method increasing the speed on the mixer slightly each time until all the sugar is added, and you have the mixture on full.
- Do a final check that all the sugar is dissolved. The mixture should now be white and glossy and hold a shape.
- Fold the flavour through the meringue gently and taste.
- Fill a piping bag with meringue by sitting the bag in a glass and turning the ends of the bag over the glass creating a larger opening.
- Use a piping bag as shown here to pipe mounds, pull up at the end to form the head and release the pressure from the meringue piping bag
- Bake at 100 degrees for about 40 minutes depending on the size of the meringue.
- once baked allow the meringue to cool in the oven
- Use the black icing to make eyes on your ghost army
I hope you enjoy these sweet little treat!
Tell me please readers, do you cook spooky Halloween treats, what is your current favourite treat to make the kids?